Canopy Bed Ideas
There is something incredibly romantic and irresistible about a canopy bed. Traditionally a four-poster bed with decorative curtains or drapes cascading around it, a canopy bed also exudes an aura of royalty and elegance when paired with suitable fabrics.
With four posts extending from the four legs of the bed to at least four feet or more above it, a canopy bed was used for privacy and warmth in those days.
However, they feature in several homes with traditional or contemporary interiors, offering an extra level of extravagance to the room ultimately. If you think of setting up a canopy bed in your room, here are some suggestions to point you on the right track.
Ditch the posts and go open
The initial thing that strikes you about a canopy bed is the four posts that reach out majestically towards the ceiling. However, space constraints may force one to not opt for a bed with these posts. Furthermore, there is an easy way to transform any bed into a canopy bed without depending on these posts.
For instance, a simple drape attached to a single hook on the ceiling right above the center of the bed can be used to hold a curtain which can then be draped around the bed nicely.
If that doesn’t function, you can choose to create a headboard cum canopy by stretching a fabric from the base of the bed to the ceiling and then elegantly draping it over the bed with the help of hangars attached to the top on all four sides of the bed.
Be More Opulent
Canopy beds were traditionally designed and used by royalty. So why not play with the available elements a bit? If your bed is made of iron, consider installing an uplift on top of it (made of iron as well). Form it in the shape of a crown or chandelier for an instant fairytale look. A drape that cascades from this crown and overlaps the edges of the bed can then offer you the canopy bed you had always dreamed of.
Bring the Mood Inside
The fabric used in the drapes decides precisely how the canopy bed will be interpreted by others entering the room. If you want it to reflect royalty, consider going for heavy, ornate fabrics made of silk. If, alternatively, you prefer a breezier feel, opt for lightweight, translucent materials. Then again, if romance is on your mind, opt to make the canopy bed the spotlight by decorating it in beautiful shades of purple and black colored drapes.
Cut down the height if needed.
What if your bedroom has a low ceiling that limits you from opting for a standard canopy bed with posts reaching 4 feet or more in height? Simple, just cut down on the height a bit to accommodate the canopy within the available space.
You don’t necessarily need to have a bed for a canopy as well. You can choose to install some posts on a sofa cum bed as well, turning it into an instant refuge that screams for attention.
Decorate the surroundings too
A beautifully decorated canopy bed will look out of place in a room that has substandard furnishings otherwise. If you opt for a canopy bed, note that it will only complement a room whose decor has been done accordingly.
So reserve a moment to find out how you can change the room’s interiors to accommodate the canopy bed. For instance, choosing to cover the canopy, coverlet, pillows, bedsheets, and even the walls with the same fabric can be a head-turner in minimal space.
The canopy bed is becoming a mainstay in many contemporary and traditional homes today. Traditionally used for utility purposes, these beds bring in an aura of elegance and sophistication to any space they are placed in.
Top Canopy Beds On Amazon
About this item
- Strong and Durable Steel
- ELEGANT AND GLAMOROUS – This beautifully crafted piece is made with an attractive, matte finish and bold lines that’ll add a glamorous touch to your bedroom without the luxury price tag.
- DURABLY ENGINEERED – A solid steel canopy framework is durably designed and made for long-lasting, squeak-free use
- NO BOX SPRING NEEDED – Sturdy metal slats support and extend the life of your latex, memory foam, or spring mattress without the need for a box spring; slats are spaced 5.5 inches apart for Twin Full and 5.9 inches apart for Queen
- UNDERBED CLEARANCE SPACE – A 14-inch platform provides over a foot of clearance space perfect for storing odds and ends beneath the bed
- EASY ASSEMBLY – All tools, parts, and instructions are expertly packed into one box for simple assembly with the help of a friend in under an hour; Worry-free 5 year warranty included. Mattress sold separately.
About this item
- Elegant and whimsical King Metal Canopy bed with scroll details offset by a simple canopy frame
- The simple metal frame features a Textured Black finish
- Includes headboard, footboard, canopy kit, and bed frame; mattress and box spring required, not included
- Overall Dimensions:80H x 76.50W x 87L; Footboard Height: 34H; Canopy Height: 80H
- Assembly required
- Forged from heavy gauge tubular steel