Coat these easy rolls in a mixture of cornmeal and taco seasoning, then bake. Expect oohs and aahs when your family and friends discover the cheesy filling hidden inside.
Pollo Relleno Recipe
- plastic wrap
- 2 bowls
- shallow baking pan
- aluminum foil
- 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- ⅓ cup cornmeal
- ½ 1.25 ounce package 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 egg
- 1 4 ounce can whole green chili peppers rinsed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise (6 pieces total)
- 2 ounce Monterey Jack cheese cut into six 2x1/2-inch sticks
- 2 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 8 ounce jar taco sauce or salsa
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese optional
- Fresh cilantro sprigs optional
- Each chicken breast half should be placed between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Lightly pound the rectangle into a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg lightly.
- Place half of a chili pepper on each piece of chicken for each roll. Place a cheese stick near the edge of the chili pepper.
- Garnish with some cilantro or parsley, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from the edge with cheese.
- Rolls should be dipped in egg and coated with cornmeal mixture.
- Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan.
- To bake, cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat taco sauce.
- If desired, sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese.
- Serve with taco sauce or salsa.
- If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Calories: 235kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 28gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 103mgVitamin C: 20mgCalcium: 101mgIron: 2.3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!