RECIPE FOR FRENCH TOAST
On a morning when you and your sweetie can linger, ease into the day with this simple yet indulgent breakfast
Recipe for French Toast
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter or canola oil
- 4 slices challah bread (each slice about 1 inch thick) or whole grain bread
Confectioners’ sugar, ground cinnamon, banana slices or your fruit of choice, pecan halves or coarsely chopped pecans, maple syrup, or honey.
Makes 2 servings.
Prep time: 5 minutes.
Total time: 20 minutes.
Heat big skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, in a large shallow bowl or pie plate, lightly beat the egg using a fork or whisk.
Stir in milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Add butter or oil to the griddle. (A griddle can usually cook 4 pieces at the same time.)
Recipe For French Toast – Video
If using a skillet:
Add ½ of butter or oil. As butter heats, dip both sides of 2 slices of bread into batter.
Add dipped bread to skillet; cook until lightly browned.
Flip and brown another side until cooked well, about 4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the bread. Transfer to a warm platter, or keep warm in 200°F oven.
Add remaining butter to skillet; cook remaining bread slices as described above. Use a small sieve to sprinkle confectioners’ sugar and/or cinnamon.
Top with banana slices and pecans. Serve with syrup or honey.
- 667 calories
- 25 grams fat
- 222 milligrams cholesterol
- 867 milligrams sodium
- 88 grams carbohydrate
- 22 grams protein.
1. Assemble all ingredients.
2. For a softer texture, let the bread soak for about 1 minute in the egg mixture. Gently turn bread and dip another side in the mixture, allowing excess to run back into the dish.
3. Use a wide spatula to turn toast carefully to another side.
4. Place powdered sugar in a small sieve and gently shake or tap to sprinkle.
NOTE: Raisin bread makes a tasty choice. Don’t add cinnamon to the egg mixture if it’s already in the bread.