A healthy and refreshing dish, cucumber salad can be savored throughout the year. It is easy to make and can be customized with different ingredients and dressings.
Want some cucumber salad ideas? Here are six recipes to try.
1. Greek Cucumber Salad
This salad takes inspiration from Greek cuisine, featuring feta cheese, olives, tomatoes, and oregano. It is tangy and satisfying, perfect for a light lunch or a side dish.
– 4 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
– 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
– 1/4 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
– 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
– 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– Salt and pepper to taste
– In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers, onion, olives, feta cheese, and oregano.
– In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and vinegar together. Season with salt and pepper.
– Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
2. Asian Cucumber Salad
This salad is crisp and refreshing, with a sweet and sour dressing that complements the crunchy cucumbers. It is a great way to use up any leftover cucumbers in your fridge.
– 3 cucumbers, thinly sliced
– 1/4 cup rice vinegar
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
– 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
– Bring the vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, salt, and red pepper flakes (if using) to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
– In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with the dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
3. Creamy Cucumber Salad
This salad is creamy and delicious, with a hint of dill and garlic. It is a classic summer dish that goes well with grilled meats or sandwiches.
– 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
– 1/4 cup sour cream
– 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
– 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– Salt and pepper to taste
– In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with the dressing. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
4. Thai Cucumber Salad
Also known as “Tam Taeng” in Thai, it is a refreshing and flavorful salad that’s easy to make. It combines the coolness of cucumbers with the brightness of herbs and a tangy dressing.
- 2 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1-2 Thai red chili peppers, thinly sliced (adjust to taste for heat)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (can substitute with soy sauce for a vegetarian version)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Start by preparing the cucumbers. If you prefer, you can peel them, but this is optional. Slice the cucumbers into thin rounds or half-moons if they are significant. Please place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Thinly slice the red onion and add it to the bowl with the cucumbers.
- If you’re using Thai red chili peppers, slice them thinly. Be cautious while handling them, as they can be very spicy. You can remove the seeds to reduce the heat. Add them to the mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, prepare the dressing. Combine the lime juice, rice vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, minced garlic, and salt. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers, onions, and chili peppers. Toss to combine and make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Add the chopped fresh cilantro and mint to the salad. Toss again to distribute the herbs throughout the salad.
- If you use peanuts, chop them roughly and add them to the salad just before serving to maintain their crunch.
- You can serve the salad immediately, but let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes for the best flavor to allow the flavors to meld together.
- When ready to serve, give the salad a good toss and serve it as a side dish or a light meal.
Note: This salad is best consumed the day it’s made, as the cucumbers will release water over time. Enjoy your refreshing Thai Cucumber Salad!
Cucumber salads are a versatile and refreshing addition to any meal. There’s a cucumber salad to suit every palate, with various recipes available, ranging from the simple to the exotic.
They can be customized with ingredients from multiple cuisines, like the vibrant Thai Cucumber Salad with its medley of herbs and tangy dressing or a classic Greek cucumber salad with feta and olives. Not only are these salads delicious, but they are also incredibly nutritious, as cucumbers are packed with vitamins and hydration.
Moreover, cucumber salads are generally easy and quick to prepare, making them a perfect choice for busy days or gatherings. Whether served as a side dish or enjoyed as a light meal, cucumber salads offer a delightful balance of textures and flavors that are sure to please.