Variegated Monstera Deliciosa
If you are a plant lover, you may have heard of the variegated monstera deliciosa, a tropical plant with stunning foliage that can brighten up any space. But what is a variegated monstera deliciosa, and why is it so expensive and hard to find? In this article, we will answer these questions and more.
What is a variegated monstera deliciosa?
A variegated monstera deliciosa is a cultivar of the monstera deliciosa, a plant native to Central and South America. The Monstera deliciosa is also known as the split-leaf philodendron or the Swiss-cheese plant because of its large, glossy leaves with holes or splits. The monstera deliciosa produces a green, corn-shaped fruit that tastes like a mix of banana, mango, and pineapple. However, the fruit and the rest of the plant are poisonous except when fully ripe.
A variegated monstera deliciosa is a monstera deliciosa that has different colored zones on its leaves, usually white, yellow, or green. This is caused by a lack of chlorophyll, the pigment that makes plants green. Variegation can occur in patterns such as stripes, splotches, dots, or blocks6. Some people love variegated plants for their unique and eye-catching appearance, while others prefer solid green ones.
There are five types of variegated monstera deliciosa, each with its name and characteristics.
Monstera deliciosa “Thai Constellation”
Is the most common and widely available type of variegated monstera deliciosa7. It has creamy white and light yellow variegation in a star-like pattern. Most of its leaves have some variegation, unlike other types that may have plain green leaves.
Monstera deliciosa “Albo Borsigiana”
This is the second most popular type of variegated monstera deliciosa. It has pure white variegation in a blocky or splotchy pattern. It is different from the Thai Constellation, which has speckled variegation. Some of its leaves may be completely white, which makes it more fragile and prone to sunburn.
Monstera deliciosa “Aurea” (or “Marmorata”)
This is a less common and more expensive type of variegated monstera deliciosa. It has yellow variegation in a splotchy pattern. It has smaller leaves than the other types; some may not have any variegation.
This is the newest and rarest type of variegated monstera deliciosa. It has white-green or minty-green variegation in a marbled pattern. It is not well-known, but it has bright and vibrant variegation throughout the plant.
Variegated Monstera Deliciosa
This is the true variegated monstera deliciosa, not a cultivar but a natural mutation. It has unpredictable and random variegation in different colors and patterns. It is scarce and not sold commercially because it is not stable and cannot be reproduced.
Why is a variegated monstera deliciosa so expensive?
A variegated monstera deliciosa is one of the market’s most expensive and sought-after houseplants. A single leaf cutting can cost hundreds of dollars, while a whole plant can cost thousands. There are several reasons why a variegated monstera deliciosa is so pricey, such as:
- Supply and demand: A variegated monstera deliciosa is rare and in high demand. Many plant enthusiasts and collectors want one in their collection, but not enough plants meet the demand. This drives up the price and creates a competitive market.
- Propagation difficulty: A variegated monstera deliciosa cannot be grown from seeds, unlike the regular monstera deliciosa. It can only be propagated by stem cuttings, which must be taken from a parent plant with variegation. This means there is a limited source of variegated monstera deliciosa plants, and each cutting reduces the size of the parent plant. Moreover, not every cutting will root and grow into a healthy plant, so there is a risk of failure and loss.
- Care requirements: A variegated monstera deliciosa is more challenging than a regular monstera deliciosa. To thrive, it needs bright, indirect light, well-drained, moist soil, and high humidity. It must also be protected from direct sunlight, cold drafts, pests, and diseases. A variegated monstera deliciosa is more sensitive and delicate than a regular monstera deliciosa and may lose its variegation or die if not given the proper conditions.
Where to buy a variegated monstera deliciosa?
If you want to buy a variegated monstera deliciosa, you may have to research and be prepared to spend a lot of money. You may also have to be patient and wait for the right opportunity.
Here are some tips on where to buy a variegated monstera deliciosa:
- Online: You can find variegated monstera deliciosa plants or cuttings for sale on online platforms, such as eBay, Etsy, Facebook, or Instagram. However, you must do your homework before buying anything online. You must check the seller’s reputation, reviews, and ratings and ask for clear, detailed photos and videos of the plant or cutting. You also have to ensure that the plant or cutting has at least one node, which is the stem part that can grow roots and leaves. You must also consider the shipping costs and risks, such as delays, damages, or losses. Depending on where you live and where the plant or cutting is coming from, you may also have to deal with customs and quarantine regulations.
- Local: You can also try to find variegated monstera deliciosa plants or cuttings for sale in your local area, such as nurseries, garden centers, plant shops, or plant swaps. This way, you can see the plant or cutting in person and inspect its condition and quality. You can also avoid the shipping costs and risks and support your local businesses. However, you may have to search hard and long, as variegated monstera deliciosa plants or cuttings are not widely available and may sell out quickly.
- Trade: You can also try to trade something you have for a variegated monstera deliciosa plant or cutting if you have something valuable or desirable to offer. For example, you may have another rare or variegated plant or a skill or service you can exchange for a variegated monstera deliciosa plant or cutting. You can post your offer online, such as Facebook groups, Reddit forums, or Instagram pages, or contact sellers or collectors directly. However, you have to be honest and fair and follow the rules and etiquette of trading.
A variegated monstera deliciosa is a beautiful, exotic houseplant that can add color and charm to any space. However, it is also a rare and expensive houseplant that requires special care and attention. If you want to buy a variegated monstera deliciosa, you must research, be prepared to spend a lot of money, and be patient and lucky. A variegated monstera deliciosa is not for everyone, but it can be a rewarding and satisfying experience if you are passionate and dedicated.